Individuals who walk, jog or run on a routine basis know that it is a relaxing form of exercise, but it is also important to take a variety of precaution to stay safe. According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, pedestrians have a higher risk of injury when traveling on foot when:
· They are on urban streets. It has been estimated that 75% of pedestrian fatalities happen the victim is in a congested urban area. For example, many injuries occur in New York City where thousands of vehicles and pedestrians are crammed into the streets.
· They are outside of crosswalks. When pedestrians cross the street in areas that are not designated as a crosswalk, they run a higher risk of being hit by a vehicle. Motorists tend to be more aware of pedestrians at intersections and areas where foot traffic is more common.
· They travel at night. An individual walking down the road is difficult to see, but especially so at night. Between the hours of 8pm and 11:59pm are the most dangerous times for pedestrians to be out. If you must be out after dark, be sure you wear bright and reflective clothes, carry a light, or take other measures to make yourself more visible to drivers.
· They are elderly. Senior citizens tend to cross the street much slower than others. They are also more susceptible to serious injuries when they are hit by a car.
· They are children. Due to their small size and unpredictability, children are difficult for motorists to see. Additionally, children are typically not as aware of their surroundings and therefore more likely to step out in front of a moving vehicle.
Pedestrians should never assume that the motorist sees them. You should be aware of your surroundings and take every measure to protect yourself and prevent accidents.
If you have been involved in an accident, you need an attorney to protect your best interests. At Murphy & Garner, LLC, we have over 32 years of experience serving clients in western Georgia and the surrounding area. We will fight for your rights and get you the compensation you deserve. Call us today for a free consultation at (866) 942-0552 or (678) 563-1584.