Head injuries are one of the most serious types of injuries we see as personal injury attorneys. A head injury can occur in almost any type of accident, especially motorcycle and bicycle wrecks. Due to the open nature and ability to travel high speeds, motorcycles and bicycles leave their drivers particularly vulnerable to head injuries.
Head injuries can range from simple scrapes to concussions to traumatic brain injuries (TBI). It is important to understand that the severity of a head or brain injury is not always readily apparent when an accident occurs.
TBI occurs when an individual endures a sudden trauma that damages the brain. The most common cause of TBI results when the head is violently struck by an object or when the skull is pierced by an object. Many individuals suffer a TBI in car wrecks, motorcycle accidents and bicyclists who are thrown from their bike.
The symptoms of TBI range from mild, moderate or severe. Examples of symptoms you may experience with a TBI include:
· Mild. The victim may remain conscious, but it is common for the victim to fall unconscious for a few seconds or even minutes. Other symptoms include headache, confusion, dizziness, blurry vision, ringing ears, fatigue, changes in mood or behavior, and problems with memory.
· Moderate or Severe. The victim of moderate or severe TBI often demonstrates mild symptoms in addition to a persistent headache that does not dissipate, reoccurring nausea, seizures, slurred speech, loss of coordination, numbness, dilation of one or both pupils and increased confusion.
It is important to understand that an infant or young child who has suffered a brain injury may not have adequate communication skills to inform you of headaches, confusion or sensory problems. If your child has suffered a head injury, you must be diligent in monitoring your child for the following symptoms:
· Change in nursing or eating habits
· Inability to be consoled
· Unusual irritability
· Inability to pay attention
· Changes in sleeping habits
· Lack of interest in favorite toys or activities
Above all, seek medical treatment as quickly as possible to treat a head injury. Even a mild brain injury is a serious injury that requires prompt attention and an accurate diagnosis.
Having an experienced attorney on your side is crucial to obtaining all the financial compensation you deserve for your injury. The attorneys of Murphy & Garner, LLC, have over 32 years of experience serving clients in western Georgia and the surrounding area. We will fight for your rights and get you the compensation you deserve. Call us today for a free consultation at 866-942-0552 or 678-563-1584.