Big-rig trucks can cause devastating injuries to the drivers and passengers in other vehicles in an accident. Due to their size, weight and the force they generate, 18-wheeler trucks can be extremely dangerous. If you are in a collision with a large commercial truck, you should confer with a personal injury attorney to understand who are the various parties that may be liable for your damages suffered.
According to Road Safe America, an organization that reports helpful information about trucking accidents, the following tips can help avoid accidents between passenger vehicles and big rig trucks:
· Motorists should be particularly careful when driving near a large truck. Semi-trucks behave differently than other cars, so they should be afforded more space on the roadway.
· The driver of a car should never attempt to pass a large truck on the right when the truck is also turning right. A tractor-trailer must swing wide to the left to make a right turn since its rear wheels follow a short path than its front wheels.
· All drivers should avoid driving in a big rig truck’s blind spots. A general rule to follow is if you cannot see the truck’s side mirrors, the driver of the truck cannot see you. An estimated one-third of all accidents between large trucks and other vehicles occur in blind spots surrounding the truck.
· Massive trucks take longer to stop, so other vehicles should avoid stopping quickly in front of them. Motorists should never whip in front of an 18-wheeler and slam on the brakes because the truck driver will not be able to stop in time to avoid hitting you.
· When the roads are wet or icy, special care should be taken to avoid accidents. In other words, driver slower and leave plenty of space between you and commercial trucks.
Murphy & Garner can help you obtain full and fair financial compensation for your medical bills, damages, lost wages, and pain and suffering. Call our office in Bremen, Georgia, at 678-563-1584 or e-mail us now for a free consultation.