Our personal injury attorneys have seen a wide variety of accidents. It is our job to help you through the difficult times that follow an accident, which is a particularly sensitive matter when a child has gotten hurt. Although you cannot predict when a car wreck will occur, you can take measures to protect your children in an accident each time you get into your vehicle.
Below are a few tips to follow in helping ensure that your children are safe in your car:
· Most parents are diligent about having their infant children ride in car seats. Unfortunately, it is common for car seats to be improperly installed, which minimizes their effectiveness in protecting your child. Thus, it is important to have your car seat installed or checked by a professional (which is typically a free service).
· It is important to use the appropriate type of car seat for your child, depending upon your child’s age and weight. You should check your state’s applicable law to determine how long your child is required to face backwards. In Georgia, all children under the age of 1 year are required to sit in the back seat in a rear-facing car seat. Your child should remain rear-facing in the back seat as long as possible within the height and weight restrictions set forth by the car seat manufacturer.
· You should routinely check your car seats to confirm that they are fitting your child correctly. Children grow quickly and the clothing they wear changes with the seasons, so you will want to check how tight the straps need to be.
· Car seats have an expiration date, so make sure the seats you are using are still reliable.
· If you are in an accident, replace the car seat. No matter how minor the wreck, the car seat should be replaced. Most insurance policies will cover the cost of buying a new one.
Simply putting your child in a car seat is not enough to keep them safe. You must insure the car seat is properly installed, fits your child correctly and is in good condition. Following the above steps will help ensure that your child is kept safe if a collision occurs.
Call an experienced personal injury lawyer at Murphy & Garner in Bremen, Georgia. We offer free consultations and dedicated representation based on over 32 years of service to car accident victims in western Georgia and eastern Alabama.